Thursday, July 2, 2015

Lean In

     The strangest thing has been happening as my things leave this house. The more I get rid of things the less I want. When I was acquiring things it never seemed to end. It was never enough. As the daily relinquishing happens I am experiencing a domino effect. When you don't have tons of clothes you don't need big suitcases to hold all your stuff. When you have less movies you don't need another piece of furniture to hold them. Utilize the digital age we live in. We develop a twitch over the years of when we come upon something we think we need we go get it. Instead stop and ask what your adding to your life that requires stuff to hold more stuff. Make stop your new twitch. See if you can borrow something instead of buying it.
     I wanted to encourage you all in this journey of less. I have been working non-stop for the last several days. For awhile it looked like everything was getting worse. Like I'm never going to get all this stuff out of here. This is when you need to lean in and press forward. I was inspired by one of the blogs I read to start with clear countertops in the kitchen. For 18 years I have never had that. Two nights ago the mission was accomplished.

This is just one shot of my kitchen. This dresser had three appliances and cutting boards and a cart next to it. I sold the cart. I found new homes for the other two appliances because by getting rid of other stuff I made room for what I actually use. Nothing in my life has gone untouched. Movies and music have been purged. I got rid of some wine glasses but kept the ones that were given to me by a really good friend. They are small and a little swirly and irreplaceable. They have the greatest value, I enjoy them and use them. I encourage you to ask your friends and neighbors if they need anything. People love free stuff and maybe it will spark a conversation that you might not normally have. Be generous with others. You never know what others need or in what way they are struggling. It's not even really about the free thing. It's the act of a perfect stranger giving them something without expectation that reaches into the deep recesses of the soul. The other night I was laying in bed looking at the moon and I was overcome by how beautiful it was. In that moment I was able to relish the beauty of the moon completely. I felt like I wanted for nothing and the hounding of "I want" was silenced in the beauty of moonlight. I live in a small apartment and I can actually say I have space. 
     In my last blog I made a statement to the negative about a person only having 100 things. I would like to make a new statement which reflects what I meant to say more fully. I have deep admiration for those who live with little and value relationships more. You are why I'm moving towards minimalism. Every time I start to hold onto something I think hey, others have let go and allowed better lasting things in their lives. I can let go. So thank you for your inspiration to live mindfully and with purpose. For those of you in a robe on top of a mountain, smoking a pipe, I dream of peace and quiet. You have managed to find it. Some of the great joys in life are having an appreciation for how we are all made differently with our likes and dislikes. With all my heart I desire to welcome all and learn from each other. As we grow together we can encourage one another towards being the best of who we are.
     The last part today is the recipe for my Sangria.
 
If you live near a Trader Joes then you can purchase these there. If not just find an Italian sparkling red wine and some kind of blood orange sparkling soda. I poured these into a pitcher. I added a bag of frozen fruit. Chop into chunks two lemons, two limes, (no peelings) and 2 apples. Throw it all together and your done. It's refreshing and delicious. 
     Lean in and be bold in your decisions. Challenge yourself like never before. Reevaluate what value means. You might just be surprised by joy and freedom.
Blessings,
Gadiela









  

1 comment:

  1. I'm unspeakably happy to know that you use & cherish the wine glasses. They are small, but really, how much wine does a person need? (Maybe don't answer that.)

    A couple years ago I did a massive purge in a push to go through all the boxes of stuff my parents left to me after my grandmother died. And then other things happened...my mom got cancer, my other grandmother needed more care, I had my own job and money struggles, I wrestled with depression. I didn't feel that I had the emotional energy to make decisions about what to keep and what to get rid of, or even the physical energy to box and bag things up and take them to Goodwill or give them to friends.

    But now things are going much better and I might be ready for another, bigger purge. We're coming into a season of financial stability (finally!) and my first reaction isn't Hooray! I can buy more stuff! Rather, I find myself looking around and saying, I don't need to hang on to this any more, because I'm no longer afraid of being unable to replace something.

    Finally, I'm slowly learning that getting rid of an object doesn't mean getting rid of a memory. And when we do keep an object, we should be sure that the object evokes a positive memory.

    Can't wait to make your sangria!

    ReplyDelete